Friday, October 30, 2009

Coupons

I like, but don't love coupons. My husband shops at Costco and we don't eat a lot of processed foods (many of the items offered are highly processed), so we don't have the need to go crazy with coupons, but I do like to use them to save a little here and there.

We don't subscribe to the local newspaper, but I get the weekly Sunday coupons from a relative who does. I save only the coupons we really use or think would be fun to try. My favorite coupons are for makeup. I save the makeup coupons and then when the local drugstore runs a 2 for 1 special on an item, I'll use my coupon in addition to the 2 for 1 special and get the items at a drastic reduction. I also like to use coupons to buy cleaning supplies and toiletries.

All of the items in the picture above were $1.00 off because a local grocery store ran a special where any coupon you brought in would be honored as if it was a $1.00 coupon. This made a 25 cent coupon worth $1.00. The Bryers ice cream (our favorite!) was already on sale for $1.99, so it made the ice cream 99 cents each.

Another thing I like to do with coupons is use them at Walmart. Walmart will match the sales other stores are having. You just have to take in your Wednesday grocery fliers to get the match. Then I try to find coupons on the sale items. You can really save money this way. By matching prices at Walmart, it saves me running all over the place to various stores. You can really save money by doing this, but it does take more time and some organization at the checkout stand. Also, they have a few rules, so good to check with your local Walmart to see what their matching policy is.

No comments: