Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Best Pizza Dough Recipe!

Everyone loves pizza, but sometimes takeout can get expensive. A friend of mine gave me this recipe for pizza dough. It is really good. I've tasted a lot of homemade doughs that taste kind of like the pizza you ate in the grade-school cafeteria. This dough tastes authentic and makes a really good thin-crust. You can put whatever you want on top.

The recipe originates from Giada De Laurentiis on the Food Network. She tops her dough with tomatoes and basil. Here is the link.

I make it by topping with inexpensive spaghetti sauce I buy on sale (like Ragu) mozzarella cheese and usually fresh basil and tomatoes from the garden. It's also good with sun dried tomatoes. My husband likes to sneak in spinach chopped up with the Basil.

To make it really healthy, I use whole-wheat flour for the dough. You can mix half white flour and half whole-wheat flour also.

I like to double the recipe. One recipe will make a pizza about the size of one cookie sheet.

I take a lot of short cuts on this recipe. I mix the dry ingredients in a bowl with a spoon, use a fast-rising yeast, throw in the liquid ingredients, mix in the mixer, don't wait for it to rise and then just roll it out. It's a pretty dry dough and can be a little tough to roll out.

An inexpensive and healthy way to get your pizza fix!

(The pictures are of the pizza before it was baked.)

No comments: