Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Basic Pancakes

Pancakes are really cheap to make from scratch and quite tasty also! Mark Bittman, author of "How to Cook Everything" says of pancakes, "Americans must have been sadly alienated from the kitchen for pancake mixes to ever have gained a foothold in the market, for these are ridiculously easy to make." He has shamed me into never buying pancake mix again ... except maybe for camping! :) Click here for his recipe with lots of detail. Below is my edited version of his recipe:

Basic Pancakes
Makes 4 to 6 servings

2 cups all-purpose flour (I use whole wheat flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar, optional
2 eggs
1 1/2 to 2 cups milk (I use skim milk)
2 tablespoons melted, cooled butter (optional) (I use olive or canola oil)
plus unmelted butter for cooking, or use neutral oil

I mix the dry ingredients, add the other ingredients into the same bowl and use a wisk to stir for about 30 seconds. Then cook 'em up!

We freeze these and waffles all the time for a really quick breakfast for the kids. Just throw them in the toaster frozen or nuke them and you're off!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

My standard recipe is the same as yours except I use self-rising flour and skip the baking soda, powder, and salt. I also use a little less flour and only one egg. My recipe came from a 1954 cookbook and was titled "Puffy Pancakes for Two". Another trick that my son taught me works well for small children. Add the syrup or topping to the mix before cooking. Then the toddlers can have the sweet tasty finger foods without the mess. (My son cooked with a master chef in Charleston, SC.)

The Good Life on Less! said...

Lisa, LOVE the idea of mixing the topping to the batter for small children!