Sunday, March 7, 2010

I Love Thrift Stores!

This is just a reminder to all of us about how great thrift stores are. One of my friends has told me I can live better on little money than about anyone she knows. Besides having free flights a majority of my adult life (sis & hubbie worked for airlines) ... thrift stores have been the other great resource to help me live "The Good Life ... on Less."

I've bought clothes, furniture, dishes, books, toys, baby clothes, movies, a lawn mower, you-name-it at thrift stores. Where I live, many of the stores have 50% off days. Three or four years ago I spotted a whole set of really nice Mikasa dishes. There were 10 big plates, 10 small plates, 10 bowls for $26.00. Being incredibly cheap ... I mean thrifty ... I chanced it and waited a couple days until 50% off day and got the whole set for $13.00. I just checked the Mikasa website and one dinner plate is selling for $16.99.

Yesterday I stopped off at a thrift store while running errands. I bought a movie I love, the book Anna Karenina and a VCR. I just have basic cable ... no fancy way to tape, no Tivo, etc. About a year ago my VCR broke and so I haven't been able to tape shows ... generally not a big deal since you can just go and view most television shows on your computer now, but on occasion I can't find a show online and want to tape it. My husband is horrified that I bought such an archaic machine, but I found one in good shape for $4.99. It was half-off since it had been sitting on the shelf so long. Apparently my husband is not the only one who thinks they are archaic. But it does the job for me, so I was tickled pink.

I don't have a thrift store very close to my house these days, but in the future I'm going to try and remember what a great resource they are!

1 comment:

Sherri said...

I think that is funny you bought a VCR... i have a replay tv sitting in my garage if you want it.

I haven't spent too much time in thrift stores... sometimes they make me itchy. But when I was looking for my tea cups for my "t" party I had a really good time. We should have a tea party for the kids before it gets too hot. I can bring out all of the decorations from my tea party.

You seem to have an eye for a good deal!